Thursday 27 May 2010

The Road to the World Cup

Its hard to describe the World Cup and the feelings it generates. For me I feel if I began to try I would end up collapsing into an unintelligible set of expletives and hand gestures which would probably get the point across just as well as anything else. Its just something a bit magic. Its genuine history unfolding before your eyes. You know heroes are about to be created, along with notorious villains, and the next two weeks are going to be beautiful and unbearable in equal measure.
I have been travelling the World for the last two and a half years, but never once has my mind strayed far from the Pantheons of Football. From clicking refresh in a dingy Internet cafe in Northern India for two hours to "read" Spurs victory over Chelsea in the Carling Cup Final, to the Man U Chelsea Champions League final in a sweaty shack in Laos. In fact my entire trip around Laos was designed to be in towns/villages which allowed me to watch the Premier League run in, I lie not!
Of course amidst all this has been England's virtually blemish free qualification campaign, and always there in my mind was my return to England after so long on the road, and since our first qualification game I knew my return would be just before this World Cup, for one month of blissfully unemployed football festivities. It is my intention to watch every single minute of action this summer, and pray this could be the summer, THE summer that will be our summer.
I am starting this Blog, mostly to keep myself busy in those dark moments when no football is being played, and also to share my thoughts, opinions and general musings with anyone bored enough to read. This is both the end of a journey for myself and the beginning of a greater one, my first post is a rallying call, to not get caught up in the pesky realities of England's shortcomings but rather embrace what could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment